Thursday, May 15, 2008

Father of Forever





I am feeling so blessed. On April 26, 2008 my father completed his journey on earth and is now enjoying eternity with our heavenly father. When this happened all I felt was shock and saddness. But it didn't last long, it was amazing how our family immediatly pulled together. My brother flew in from Chico that night and everyone was at my parents home within an hour. I am so grateful for the family I have. My mother was so strong, she was worried about my younger brother and sister and wanted them to be ok above all. My wonderful husband immediatly reminded me that the lords hand was in this and he has a reason for everything. That first week was... different I guess you could say. We were so busy getting things together for the funeral and trying to help my mom figure everything out that there wasnt a lot of time to miss him. That first night we went to bed and I woke up at about 4:00am sat up in bed and just started bawling. It just all hit me and I couldnt stop. Greg was there of course just holding me and crying with me, it was all he could do. I am reminded each and everyday what a wonderful man my father was. There are so many lives he has touched and I am so grateful to have had him as a father. I had him for a good 22 years, some people never have a father. So many cannot say things about their fathers that I can. He loved the lord, he honored his priesthood, he loved people, and he loved his family. He loved his family more than anything. I was witness to this weekly. He made sure everytime he saw me to hug me and tell me he loved me and just how special I was. Im certain he did this with all of his children. I think the most memorable experiances I have of him are that of a fathers blessing. When I was younger he would pull each of us kids individually into his office and just ask us how we were and what was going on in our lives and at the end he would always ask if we would like a blessing. I always said yes. I could always feel the great love my heavenly father had for me through my father. His hands felt so comforting on my head. I felt so protected. This is the same feeling I felt every time he hugged me. Though he is gone from this earth, and somtimes I wish he could be here to see his grandchildren be born and for the weddings that havent happend yet in our family, I know he is with us. I know that I will see him again. I know that as long as I follow his example our family will be forever. I know that he heard those words from our heavenly father that we all look forward to hearing someday, "Well done thou good and faithful servant." He was done with his test, and I know he passed with flying colors. I love him so much and will always have the moments where I miss him and want him to be here, but I am so grateful for the knowledge that I have of forever families. That we will meet again, and that day will be a beautiful day! I cannot call him the father of the year or the century. He is the father of forever.

7 comments:

The Fast Family said...

We love your Dad. Although we have only known him about 5 years, we have been so touched by him and felt his love towards us. He truly is an amazing man. There is something so special about him that would just brighten up our day. He will forever be in our hearts. I too know that your family will all be reunited with him again and I bet he will be waiting with open arms and his amazing smile.

Scott and Mandi said...

We love your Dad too! He was Scott's bishop when he went on his mission, and when we got married. He holds a very special place in both of our hearts. He really was one of the best men both of us knew. He always made me feel like I was special, and that I was the only one who mattered at that moment every time I saw him. He is so loved by so many! Isn't it such a comfort to know you are sealed forever? We love you guys!

Jer & Di said...

Oh Heather,
I can hardly type through my tears, I loved your Dad so much. He was the most supportive of me and my Calling as Stake YW President.He was everything you said, and even more, because he made me feel special, appreciated and loved. The Lord really blessed me by putting me in a place to know him andhis terrific family. My heart is with you all. Sister K

Ricki said...

This is so beautiful! Maybe you should make a hard copy and preserve it for all of your children to have. We love you and are so glad you married our son.

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Hi Heather. Thank you for posting your feelings about your Dad. I feel very lucky to have known your Dad. Recently my communications with him were mostly business, but even outside of his Church roles he still had the same gentleness about him that just spread peace. Please send my love and wishes to your Mom.

Tyler J.

Magi & Tom said...

That is beautiful Heather. Thank you for sharing. We love you.

Anonymous said...

Okay Heather, that is the third time I have cried over him. I loved your dad, as so many did! Your family is so awesome, and my heart aches for you, but I KNOW that your dad's calling and election was made sure. He was one of the best men I ever knew. I didn't get to know you as well, but you look just like Aubs. I thought that was her in the picture at first. You guys are so beautiful! I know that your dad watches out for you from above. Congratulations on your sweet baby too. Isn't it crazy that your dad gets to meet your baby before you?! I'm sure he'll send her off with a big kiss. Love to you all,
Kristi Fealy-Sandberg